Thursday, October 21, 2010

Interview
















CSUMB Visual and Public Arts Student Shows Great Promise

By Kathleen Yonekura

CSUMB has many talented Visual and Public Art major students and one of them is junior Ian Tomasino. “Alright let’s do this,” said Tomasino as we sat down in his room. Clothes and art supplies are scattered the floor with many sketches and drawings of his lining the walls. The only thing that is relatively clean is his work station.


“Where were you born?”


“I was born in Chicago, but I moved to Kansas City, Missouri when I was 6 months old, and I lived there until 6th grade when I moved out to Danville.”


“When did you first think about becoming an artist?”


“My mom taught me to draw before I could speak. She had a table set up in our breakfast room that always had a huge piece of paper on it with markers. We'd have little art seshes all the time. It helps a child really express themselves when they have no words.”


“What was your motivation to pursue art?”


“My main motivation is art is that it makes me happy. I enjoy it, and I'm lucky enough to be able to do it pretty well. It's my perfect form of expression, and everyone (even if they don't speak my language) will be able to take something from it... hopefully.”


“They definitely will your art is amazing. So what made you decide to go to CSUMB?”


“CSUMB is the cheapest CSU. Simple.”


“How has the Visual and Public Arts department helped you as an artist?”


“The VPA department has helped me as an artist by pushing me to realize that I have to do this on my own. Funding in schools now is terrible, and let's face it, art is the number one priority on everyone's minds nowadays. The struggle is somewhat helping me. But don't get me wrong, the teachers are amazing, and passionate, the money just isn't there.”


“Have there been any teachers at CSUMB that have mentored you?”


“I'd say Hector (Dio) Mendoza, from the VPA department, has been my most influential teacher.”


“What are your plans for the future?”


“My plans are to let my art take me wherever it can. Working for a gallery... design... concept art... who knows? I'm trying to expand my set of skills to incorporate a large amount of art in my portfolio.”


“Is there anything interesting you are currently working on?”


“ I’ m working on a life size drawing of myself with an animal head for my life drawing class... we'll see how it goes.”


“Hopefully that goes well for you. Any other thoughts on CSUMB?”


“Monterey is a beautiful town. The area surrounding it is something I'm sure everyone takes for granted. But the school system needs some help if they want to get serious.”



No comments:

Post a Comment