Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Christopher Marcos



CSUMB Births Great Talent

By Kathleen Yonekura

CSU Monterey Bay has many talented students. One student in particular, Christopher Marcos, graduated last year from CSUMB Suma Cum Laude with a B.A. degree in Teledramatic Arts and Technology. He is very active in the community doing theatre and dancing. Marcos was most recently seen in High School Musical 2, The 25th Annual Putnum County Spelling Bee, and All Shook Up. He is currently the lead role in the production Footloose at Hartnell College in Salinas. Marcos is an Artistic Director for the hip hop group, Infamous Night Rockers who qualified for nationals in the International Dance Challenge Competition held in Orlando, Florida last June. In an interview with Mr. Marcos he describes his blossoming career.


Question: Where and when were you born?


Marcos: Born in Monterey,CA and raised in Marina, CA. Feb 24, 1988


Question: When did you first start becoming interested in acting and performing?


Marcos: I actually started as a dancer around 2000 when I was in middle school. I didn't start acting and singing until recently, about 2 years ago with my first theatre production, High School Musical 2.


Question: Who inspired you to be a performer?


Marcos: My parents always inspired me to do what makes me happy and not care about what anyone says. There wasn't one person in the business that really got me started or I looked up to. I just knew that it made me feel good and it made me happy.


Question: What is your most embarrassing acting story?


Marcos: In my first play, I was involved in a really intense scene with the leading man. I accidently called him the wrong name. After he changed his line saying, "First of all my name is Troy," I almost lost it. Luckily I was able to keep character and carry on with the scene.


Question: How was your experience at CSUMB?


Marcos: At first i was a little skeptical because I’ve been in the area all my life and all of my high school friends went away for college. But once I started getting heavily involved in the school, creating my own dance club and performing at campus events, I gained a real close family of friends. I also met some very inspiring people like my professors and guest speakers who really helped me find myself.


Question:Did you find the Teledramatic Arts and Technology department at CSUMB helpful and inspiring?


Marcos: Definitely. The department is very hands on and gave me the chance to really get involved with projects and make important connections with people and places.


Question: Which professor at CSUMB did you find most helpful?


Marcos: I can't just choose one. They've all helped me through my journey of college and they were all very supportive in everything I did, in and outside of class.


Question: Was it an easy choice deciding your major?


Marcos: It was definitely difficult. I was aware that finding a successful job in the field was going to be very difficult. I thought about choosing a major that was going to give me a better chance at a high paying job, but my parents assured me that if i don’t enjoy what I'm doing when I grow up, I will never truly be happy. So I decided to go with what interested me and what gave me joy.


Question: What are your plans after you are done with Footloose?


Marcos: I will be re-joining Pacrep Theatre in their second production of All Shook Up, in which I will be playing the leading role once again. After, I plan to move to LA to follow my dream. I hope to catch my big break and become very successful doing what I love to do.


Question: What was your favorite play or musical to be in?


Marcos: It's definitely hard to choose just one. Each one has been great. I've played dancers, parents, nerds, heart throbs, children, and even a horse and a penguin. All of them have been great experiences.


Question: Any other thoughts on CSUMB as a whole?


Marcos: I am proud to say that i have graduated from this school. CSUMB gives students the chance to really do what they love to do.


Footloose is playing for one last weekend at Hartnell College in Salinas next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Only five dollars for students with i.d. It is a great show so be sure to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment